Friday, February 8, 2008

Trip to the A&E

Relax, don't freak out, it wasn't me, it was my dad but he's fine, it was kinda minor. Here's what happened ....

It was about 4pm and my mom came rushing in to my room and said that we have to send my dad to the emergency room. I was shocked and asked my mom what happened. She said that my dad cut his knee on some glass and has to have some stitches.

I quickly got dressed and went down only to see my dad hobbling around with a piece of tissue covering his wound. He said that it did not hurt and that it has stopped bleeding. However, because the cut was quite deep, he needed stitches. He even let my sis and I glance at the wound ... yup, it was quite deep.

We drove there and my mom dropped us off as she went to park the car. My sis and I walked my dad in and I helped him register.

---

They asked if one of us wanted to follow my dad in and since I was the only one to have my IC with me, I told them I would go in with my dad. My mom arrived a few moments later but she did not want to do it, so I was given a blue paper around my wrist and proceeded to push my dad (on a wheelchair) into the A&E.

It was a pretty quiet day, about a hand full of ppl waiting with us. I went to pay the $55 admission fee (my dad got a $25 discount for being a regular blood donor) and then waited for the dr. to call his name.

Everyone asked him what happened and all of them spoke in Mandarin first. It was kinda irritating ... I guess he has the "speak mandarin uncle" look. Well, he was trying to set up a new TV on a wood and glass cabinet. But while puting it on, the corner of the glass broke off and he walked into it.

---

They said that we had to go to have a X-Ray done to check for any glass fragments in the knee. I pushed my dad and I was so worried that I would hit his raised knee while making corners. Thank god I didn't.

After the X-Ray was done, the dr. had a look at it and found nothing embedded. It was then that I had a longer look at the wound and saw the layer of fat beneath the skin. Quite bad ....

---

Next stop, Operating Theater. I wasn't allowed it which I was dissapointed as I wanted to see them do the stitching. Yes, I am weird that way.

Anway, it was then that I took these pics. It was kinda boring waiting alone and I had my camera with me. My dad finally came out and said that he had to have 4 stitches inside and 8 outside.

Wow, that's a DOZEN stitches!

All in all, it took us about 1-1 1/2 hrs from arrival to departure. My dad got 3 days MC but unfortunately he could not find someone to cover his shift and have to go to work. He has no trouble walking but I just hope that he takes it a little easy.

Oh, and guess where we stopped on the way home? Buy 4D! Haha .....