Saturday, September 1, 2007

The Adventures of 小笼女!


Yup! I think LC was the one that gave me the name ... think its kinda cute so I'm keeping it! My sis and I were supposed to try out something new but after hearing not so great reviews about it, we decided that 小笼包 was the way to go. However, instead of going back to Crystal Jade (CJ), we tried Imperial Treasure (IT) that some said was nicer than CJ. Well, alot of ppl do say that IT is a copy of CJ.

Anyway, my day started off with a visit to the blood bank for my blood donation. Am already about 3 weeks late for my donation. I'm trying to donate consistently every 12 weeks.

---

My bandage from the blood donation. Thought the dinosaurs were cute .. think Nate would have love it :)

Went down to Orchard to meet my sis, after which we headed to Far East to do a little shopping. Stopped by Isetan, Scotts to visit my ex colleagues and then headed to Ngee Ann for a late lunch, early dinner.

There are 2 ITs at Ngee Ann, u have to go to the 5th floor one for 小笼包. The full name of the place is IT Nan Bei Restaurant.

---

The menu .... the inside is very similar to CJ.

---

Our 小笼包! They look very much like the ones at CJ. I thought that maybe the skins were slightly thinner and they were more soupy! Not bad at all!

---

Chicken Feet ... this was yummy, cooked till very tender, no trouble eating them at all.

---

Sweet and Sour Chicken ... but we thought it tasted like pork. Think they might have screwed up our order. Nothing fantastic ....

---

Fried Eel. I think this dish is definitely better than CJ, which was way too sweet and portion was measly.

---

Siew Mai ... not too bad, but have tasted better.

---

Fried Pork Chops ... CJ's are definitely better too. They use a different batter there.

---

My trusty sidekick 小笼妹!

---

Me, ME!!

We ate a total of 3 笼s of 小笼包s EACH! That's 12 小笼包s for mathematically challenged. When we ordered our 2nd 笼, the guy next to our table looked at us weird. Well, this was after we polished off most of the food shown above.

We then wanted a 3rd 笼 but we were (ok, I, more than my sis) embarrassed. Thank god the couple stood up and left. After the coast was cleared, we told the waitress to add 2 more 笼s ... then she said in Cantonese "Wah, 3 笼s each, so nice to eat ah?" To which we replied in Cantonese, "Yup, 好吃!" (Good Eats)

Not too sure if I liked all the attention we seemed to be getting. No one ever said anything or looked at us weird at CJ.

---

And 'cos we spent over $60 and I used my UOB card to pay, we were offered FREE dessert! It was Red Bean with Lotus Seed. Yum ... tasted even better since it was FOC!

Hmm ... I think if it was just for 小笼包, I would prob go to IT, but there are some dishes that CJ do a better job at, plus I love their chili there. Hmm, think I have to go back to CJ soon and see if I remember their 小笼包 correctly :)

Well, I want to try another place that supposedly serves even better 小笼包s. Guess the adventures of 小笼女 are going to continue for awhile .... keep a lookout!

Any suggestions/recommendations?