Saturday, June 14, 2008

Tiramisu Day!

After Shanice's attempt at Tiramisu, Huiyi was eager to learn too and I just wanted to try some :) We went to buy food for lunch and the ingredients first before heading to Shanice's. We also bought movie tics to watch Kung Fu Panda in the evening, after we made our tiramisu.

While we were shopping, Shanice brought me to this little cart in the mall where they were selling Little Twin Stars stuff. It was supposedly closing down so everything was 50% off. However, stuff was still pretty expensive (no wonder they are closing down) but then there was this really cute item that drew me ..... I needed time to think.


Shanice's mom made the beehoon and the chili. Loved the chili :) The otah and fishcake was pretty good too.



After lunch, we started ....


The lady's fingers.




Cheese.




A familiar friend.




The mixer that my mom gave to Shanice. The box is crap but the mixer hasn't been used. It was just laying at home.




Coffee!




First, separate 6 egg yolks.




Blend with sugar.




Blending ....




After while ...




Add in the cheese.




More blending until the sugar has been dissolved.




Huiyi, the diligent student that even brought a print out of the recipe!




You need a pan.




Dip the fingers in the coffee and lay them out, making sure they are placed as close as possible. The coffee made the fingers soft pretty fast, so do it quick.




We love chocolate, so we added a layer of cocoa powder.




Spread a layer of the egg and cheese mixture.




More cocoa powder.




Another layer of dipped fingers.




More cocoa powder b4 another layer of the mixture.




Then topped with the final layer of cocoa :)




The pretty layers.




Sprinkling cocoa powder.




Evon and I.




Hard at work :)




R u done yet?




This was made specially for my sis.



You have to put the tiramisu in the fridge to chill b4 eating. We had ours in the freezer as Shanice said her fridge wasn't cold enough

We then headed into Shanice's room as the gals started discussing their Taiwan trip while I did my Little Twin Stars research.

At about 6pm, we headed out again as our movie was at 7pm. The movie was pretty good and funny. There were quite a few famous names in it but I have to say I did not recognize their voices, maybe they just weren't that distinctive.

After the movie, we headed back to the store to check out my Little Twin Star item. I wanted to make sure that it was in good condition. The girls tried hard to bargain for me but the boss wouldn't budge .... thanks for trying though :) In the end, I got it as it was just too cute to pass. Hop over to my LTS blog for pics!

We then headed back to Shanice's for dessert!


Out from the freezer .... it wet cos of the ice that formed and melted.




Evon showing off a slice.




The cross section of it.



It was not too bad, better than the "tiramisu" we had at Coffee Bean but Shanice said that it wasn't as good as her previous attempt. It was very sweet even though we reduced the sugar added. We were trying to figure out what went wrong but just could not, maybe we were just over eager in making so much of it.Definitely needs improving but it was NO failure!

After dessert, we hopped online and chatted with Ben via video. It was pretty fun but it took us a long time figure out why we were receiving LOUD echo!

By the time I got home, it was pretty late. My sis loved her tiramisu and finished hers in a blink of an eye.

What's going to be our next venture?