Saturday, November 24, 2007

Blood Donation

Went to donate blood on Fri. Wanted to bring my sis along for her first donation but she started having the sniffles in the morning that didn't seem to go away. Therefore I told her to do it another day and to just watch me.

We reached the blood donor center at Outram and was helped right away. There wasn't that many ppl on a Fri eve. When I went in to have my blood pressure taken, I was told that I just made it. Hmm, guess I should have skipped on my coffee.

It was then to the iron testing area. They dropped a drop of my blood into some blue liquid and the blood was supposed to fall slowly to the bottom of the beaker. It started off well but then my drop of blood decided to stop halfway. The nurse took more blood to spin it in a more advance testing equipment and that was when my blood in the beaker decided to continue it's descend. However, I was still told to wait for the results of the spin. A min later, the nurse told me I was good to go. Guess my iron was borderline but I just made it. Damn, I need to drink more water and eat more iron!

Anyway, I went into the room and told them that my sis was interested in looking at the whole donation process. After prepping me, they called my sis and the nurse then proceeded to tell my sis what she was doing .. giving anesthesia, inserting the needle for the blood ... That was when my sis turned green. I told her I could not feel a thing and that it was not painful .... greener!

Haha, the nurse took pity on my sis and told her she could wait for me outside :) I was done pretty quick and then we went to find my dad's name on the wall of donors. My dad has been a regular donor for the longest time. Took us awhile to scan thru all the names but we finally found him.

---

There's my dad's name. Notice that my dad's surname is "Low" instead of "Loh"? Well, he has 2 last names as my grandparents, who did not know how to spell, registered the wrong surname when he was born. "Loh" is now is alias.

---


He got the Ruby Award in 2002 ... wow, he has had more than 75 donations! I'm really impressed. Me? Sigh, I was on my 8th :( But I did have some when I was in the USA! Right, Lizzy? Anyway, it looks like it is going to be a long time b4 I receive anything.

My sis and I were discussing why the gals get a discount. Well, we think it's because of our monthly visits and pregnancy. Make sense?

My next donation is 15 Feb 2008. Can I interest anyone? :)