Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My Mom's attempt at 糯米鸡 .... :(

A few weeks ago, my mom tried to make 糯米鸡 (Glutinous Rice with Chicken) and it was a really bad attempt. The first mistake was she added plain rice to the glutinous rice.

WTF?!?!

Her reasoning was that glutinous rice was too sticky.

WTF?!?!

Glutinous rice is supposed to be STICKY!! Plus, the last time I checked, its called 糯米鸡 not 糯米和白米鸡 (Glutinous and White Rice with Chicken).

The dish turned out dry and the top part had half cooked rice. We had a hard time finishing i, partly due to the fact that it was 95% rice and 5% meat and mushrooms.

Results : F

Anyway, my mom decided to try it again and I made her dig out my 姑姐's (Aunt) recipe to translate. But why did she do after I painstakingly READ mandarin? She went ahead to do it HER way again!

ARGH!!!!!

This time it was better, at least no more plain rice added ... however, I think this time she really outdid herself and had 98% rice and 2% chicken and mushrooms. I know I complain that my mom cooked too much meat but this is ridiculous! But don't worry, we still got our dose of protein in the form of a whole chicken in soup, leftover chicken with fungus and leftover tofu with mince pork, all from last nite.

Doesn't the rice gets it flavor from the chicken its supposed to have? So it just turned out to be another meal with glutinous rice instead of plain rice accompanied with side dishes. It didn't have the 糯米鸡 taste and the rice was dry (at least it was all cooked)

Results : C-

My sis was nicer, she gave my mom a C+, so I guess...

Average result : C

I want my one dish meal, a nice sticky, juicy bowl of 糯米鸡 with a reasonable amt of chicken, with or w/o mushroom, it doesn't matter. Is that too much to ask for? Is it?