Thursday, November 23, 2006

Sometimes my dad makes me feel like I am a five year old kid all over again, someone that does not know anything, someone that is stupid. It's just that he feels that he says/does is always in the right and everyone else is wrong.

There are times that I know that I am right but after my father disagrees, I can't help but doubt myself. He has a confident way of talking/arguing that makes u believe in that he says.

Example 1

My mom just bought fabric softener and told my dad that he would have to add in the softener during the rinse cycle. I said there is no need, there is a softener dispenser in the washing machine. He said where is there one ... and I had to show it to him and he still questioned it and I had to explain to him how I have used it b4 in other washing machines.

All the time, I was afraid that he was going to argue with me and tell me that that was for something else and that I was wrong, even though I was sure that that was what the container is for ....

Example 2

My dad insists that u CANNOT gain weight by eating fruits. He says that u can eat as much as u want and since it is 90% water, u will not gain weight.

I'm sorry, but there are calories in fruits. If u eat more calories than u burn, u will gain weight. I know it will take ALOT of fruits to gain weight but it can happen. Especially if u eat tons of fruits after a heavy meal.

He proceeded to hand me a book that is 20 years old and told me to read it, saying that it says that u can eat all the fruits that u want. I went to the part and it says that u can eat all the fruits that u want and your diet should consist of 70% fruits and veggies.

Umm, how can it be that u can eat "all u want" but only 70%?

Read this article I found online.

Example 3

We were talking about thanksgiving and my dad asked whether we knew who celebrated the first Thanksgiving. He said it was the American Indians ..... I was like "huh? No, it's the Pilgrims" He then asked who are the pilgrims....

After searching online ... I found out that the First Thanksgiving (meaning what the American celebrate now) were celebrated by the Pilgrims and Indians.

If u want to talk about who started giving thanks in general ... then it dates back to the egyptians and romans, even the the chinese celebrate some sort of thanksgiving.

The point is that as the words left my lips, I started to doubt myself and wonder if I was really wrong when my dad started to question me.

Example 4

My dad says that the aircon should be set at a temp that u are comfortable at. It also conserves energy when the temp is set a degree higher. If u need to be covered in blankets, it is too cold.

Well, I like sleeping with the blankets. It is more of a cocoon, a protection than anything else. Without it, I feel exposed. He said that the only reason that their rooms temp is so cold is because my mom insist upon it.

Well, there was one night when my mom was out and when i went into the their room, I found my dad was huddled under the blankets. When I mentioned this to him, he brought up my mom again. However, I said, since she is out, what is the trouble of increasing the temp and then lowering it when she returns? He had nothing to say and promptly changes the subject ....

I guess I will never win with my dad ... sigh