Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Dinner with Elsie

Elsie is having her spring break this week so we decided to meet up. Told her to let me know when she is free as she is always the one that has a packed schedule. She called me on Tue late afternoon to ask if I was free on Wed it was like godsend as I did not want to attend the event my mom was having at home.

However, it was almost cancelled as she text me late last nite to tell me that she might not be able to make it as she had last min design job. I don't know which I was more disappointed ... being cancelled upon or having to attend the event. I think the former ... I hate ppl cancelling at the last min.

Anyway, she called me this afternoon and told me that she was able to make it and suggested United Square. Weird thing was that when I was chatting with my bro asking him for suggestions on where to go, he suggested United Square too. Did not know that there were good places to eat there, all I know is that there is a Sanrio shop there :)

I was to meet LC at 6.30 and left the hse just as my Grandma, aunts and uncle were arriving (they were here for the event). I said my hellos and then rushed off, but not b4 my Grandma had a chance to ask if I had a bf and when I said no, she told me to find one ... GROAN!

Well, got there and we went to this Spanish restaurant called Bungalow Tapas Bar and Grill that has a really cool outdoor cabana seating. However, since it was rush hr traffic (its pretty near the main road) and I was perspiring, I told her I wanted to sit inside.

---

It was a quiet Wed nite. There was a pool table behind. Here's our White Peach Sangria and Original Red Sangria. They were both pretty strong and the white tasted a little sweeter. I finished my red and then helped LC finish half of hers :) I'm the alcoholic ...

---

Close up ... there were tiny apple cubes in it. Wanted to eat them but figured it would not be too atas.

---

Our first tapas (a small savory Spanish dish), dip with bread. Clockwise from the top, Hummus (its made of chick peas), Olives with onions and tomatoes, and last is sun dried tomatoes. The hummus was a disappointment. It tasted nothing like the one I have had in the US. It wasn't thick and it tasted bland. We both love the other 2 dips but I wish u could have actually bit into some sun dried tomatoes. And, OMG, must they have such huge bowls for such a measly portion of dip?

---

Next is Eggplant Parmesan. Well, they did not call it eggplant but some word that started with an "A". We asked the waiter what it was and he did not know either and so had to call the chef out to explain to us. Should the waiters know what is on the menu? This was yummy, the tomato sauce was seasoned with herbs and quite tasty.


Its layered with eggplant, tomatoes and cheese. LC complained that there wasn't enough cheese but I thought it was fine.

---

Next is Baked Potatoes with Chorizo. I loved this too, it was cooked with lots of peppercorn and garlic.

---

This is Baked Meat Spanish Rice that we DID NOT order. Haha, we took a pic after it was set down then called the waiter back to tell him that we didn't order it. Well, we were planning to order the seafood one so when it arrived we thought that we might have accidentally ordered it the first time the waiter came to our table. But when we looked into it and saw beef and chicken, we knew it was definitely not something we ordered. They took it back without questions.

The meal was pretty good but for the portions, it was pretty expensive. It was still fun to try out something new.

After dinner, we went to walk ard a little, which meant stopping by my LTS shop :) Nope, did not see anything new to get. So it was off for dessert!

Bakerzin!

---

Opera. Chocolaty goodness with a tiny speck of gold leaf.

---

Lavender Chocolate Mousse. Hint of lavender when u let it linger in yr mouth. Not bad.

---

LC's Hot Chocolate with Marshmallow. The chocolate and rich and creamy.

---

My usual cuppa.

---

Us with our cakes :)

Had a fun time eating and we always go all out, trying new places and stuffing ourselves. Did not eat too much tonite but I think everything we ate were calorie rich ..... cheese, bread, chocolate, alcohol ... Thank God we don't get a chance to meet up that often :)

P.S. Thanks to LC for some of the pics!