Friday, January 12, 2007


My dad received this letter from his alumni and OMG, the president needs some English remedial lessons ... or just fire whoever proofread his message. I'm not saying that my English is perfect, I make mistakes regularly while writing on my blog, however, this is informal and spontaneous. That letter was sent out to hundreds (maybe even thousands) of alumni members, you would think that they would have at least made sure that there were no grammatical errors.

In the first place, there were already errors that they tried correcting (note the blue pen corrections) Isn't that embarassing enough, having to manually edit your message? However, upon reading it, my sis and I found even more errors (red markings) ... and some were NOT minor.

One major error was when he used the word "jest" (click for definition). I'm pretty sure he meant "zest". It could have been an honest slip, even I did not immediately catch it. Or maybe he was just spelling the way Singaporeans pronounce.

The other word is "commanderie" ... there isn't even such a word!!! The closest is "commanderies" or "commandery". What the hell happened to his spell check? I'm pretty sure he meant "comradery" or "camaraderie".

Has Singaporeans become so lax that they don't even give a damn anymore?

Please lah ... don't be like that leh .. very paiseh (embarrassing) one leh!

P.S. Please forgive me for ALL the errors I have made in this entry .... and all future ones too :)