Monday, August 7, 2006

Eggplant Parmesan aka Brinjal Parmesan

My roomie had it in his mind to make Eggplant Parmesan, he bought all the ingredients and so today we got together to do a little cooking.

I started off peeling the eggplant and slicing them about 1/4 inch slices, tossed them in salt, set it aside for 30-45 mins to draw the water out.

---
I then patted them dry. Gaetano was responsible for coating them in a mixture of flour and pepper, then dip them in an egg bath and then coat it in a mixture of breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and oregano.

---
I painstakenly fried every single piece ..... it took forever! I wanted to bake them in the oven but Gaetano said to fry them ...... eeww, all the grease, but they tasted so good.

---
I laid them aside while I was frying more of them. Looks like chicken!

---
Some olive oil, garlic, couple of cans of diced tomatoes and a can of tomato sauce, reduced till it thickens a little.

---
Layered tomato sauce, eggplant, cheese ... repeat. Top with cheese, the leftover breadcrumbs and some olive oil.

---
After about 20 mins in a 400 degree oven .... then turn on the broiler to brown the cheese.

---
The pretty layers!

---
It tasted really good ... we did a great job! :)

I still don't think I would like eggplant the way my mom cooks it .... she would just stir fry them with egg and oyster sauce. It just makes it all mushy and the taste of eggplant is very prominent. Eggplant Parmesan is more like a lagsana :)