Saturday, September 27, 2008

My 1st F1!!!

The week has been a bitch. I have been grumpy and things just did not go well. And it didn't help that I was also PMSing. On Fri, Boss said something that really hurt/annoyed/pissed me. That started a nite of tears that didn't stop flowing.

On Sat, I woke up early to collect a parcel from the post office and then had plans to meet a friend in the evening, around 6.30pm. Sometime in the mid afternoon, my boss text me, asking me if I wanted to go to the Formula 1 Qualifying Race that nite. OMG! U guys know I have been wanting to go to the F1 since FOREVER! Sure, I was still pissed at my boss but to say no because of it? Come on, what do u think I am? Stupid?

The race starts at 10pm, I would have been able to meet my friend, then head on to the race, no problem. It would be a little rush, but it could be done. However, at about 5+pm, my friend text me and told me she had to cancel. Hate that I would not be able to meet up, but then, it leaves me plenty of time to get there.

So I headed to Nick's hotel where we grabbed a quick bite with Boss, then it was a short walk to the F1 grounds. When I got off the MRT, the station was packed! When I was on street level, I could already hear the cars zooming by ... it was LOUD!


This is the cool tic, they punch a hole when u enter the area and if u exit, u need to get your hand stamped. This prevents a day's tic from being transferred.




The back ... we were seated at the Padang Grandstand.




My fave team - Ferrari! This was their souvenir tent.




The beautiful skyline.



After we got it, we tried to get info on a little handheld set that we could watch the race on. Nick and my boss saw someone with the device on Fri but did not ask the person where he got it from. So we walked around, asking the ushers, the ticket ppl, but no one knew where it was. The ushers were mainly high school students whom I felt knew crap! WTF? Shouldn't it be part of the training? To tell them where everything is so that they can USHER ppl to it?

Finally Nick saw a Singapore Tourism counter and I went to ask the guy there. Surprisingly, he knew straight away what we were talking about. He directed us to the tent which was just a short walk from where we were.


Its called Kangaroo TV! Nick said that he hasn't seen it in Monaco b4 but when he talked to the person, he was told that they were in Monaco .. they then proceed to discuss the location while I quickly took this shot :)




This is the set where u can tack yr fave drivers, stats, standings, in car cameras and more! Its cost S$100 for one day rental and $150 for the whole weekend. Nick rented it for the weekend so that they could use it on Sun too. Its a really cool device to have.




The back view of the Padang Grandstand.




We were seated right b4 the S turn.




The view from the left.




The right.




That's Singapore's tallest hotel.




Nick and I. Haha, he also knows how to take pics of himself by himself. I thought it was just a Singapore thing.






Some track views.




Bad job of trying to catch the cars zoom by. My camera is not professional enough.



Check out some videos that I took. Umm ... make sure your volume is turned down :)








After the race .... ppl still hanging around.



I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. The sound of the cars driving by is nothing like what u hear on tv. Earplugs are a must! Even though u can hardly see the car in the pics and video I took, I could actually see them pretty clear b4 the turn as they had to slow down.

Moreover, the race last nite was exciting as it was a close one, with the fast lap changing hands a few times. The fave, Hamilton, almost did not make it on the 2nd qualifying and the held on to pole position for a few seconds on the final qualifying only to lose it to Masa! Haha, Ferrari all the way!