Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sunday Lunch

Went out with my family for Sunday lunch, it was a treat from my sis because she has just got her first pay check ;) At first I did not want to go as they were thinking of going to a buffet, but when they change it to Popeye's at the airport, I went along.

This time around, the biscuits were alot better! We had to stop my dad from eating the remaining one after we made sure that he was eating it because he thought no one liked them and not because he himself likes them.

After lunch, we went to Giant to do some grocery shopping and also to Ikea for some dessert. But it was at Giant that all hell broke loose....

I wanted to get some conditioner and then my mom started nagging. She said NTUC just had an offer not long ago, to go there and check. How long ago? I need it within the next few days and I do not have time to go check NTUC to save a few cents. Then she said why don't I go across the street, to those small shops. Hate to say it but I have been there and the bottles look like they have been there for ages in the heat. I would rather pay a few cents more at a place where I know goods move in and out faster. So I just told mom, "Fine, I just pay for it on my own!"

The thing is that my mom will go to great lengths to save a few cents on groceries but there she is dropping HUNDREDS into those damn slot machines a mth! Even my dad gets frustrated at time because my mom would drive a few miles to another grocery store to get something to save less than $1. At the rate of gas, she prob spend more on gas than what she saved.

For me, it is just convenience. I need it now, I get it now. If happen to see it on sale, knowing I am running out, of cos I am going to buy it. But I'm also not going to buy a dozen because it is cheap on. You would not believe how many ginormous bags of laundry powder my mom has. WTF? My hse is taken over by trash, leftovers, laundry powder, canned food, etc ..... seriously, if there is ever a war, come my hse, we will have food to last awhile.

But that is not the end. At the checkout, I was all set to pay for my own stuff and so were my bro. However, my mom wanted to use a coupon that required a spending limit so she asked to put our stuff on her a/c and then to pay her back.

Here's the question, should the discount she received be split among the 3 of us?

I was fine with not dividing the discount, but my bro said it should be. I guess my school of thought was that I do not want to be as calculative as my mom. My bro's, however, is since my mom is so calculative with us, we should do it to her too.

It really got me thinking when he said that. I do not want to be like my mom, but he is so right! It should be an eye for an eye. That is it .... from now on, I am not letting my mom take advantage of me (I really should have learnt after that stupid GST stun she pulled). I will be as calculative as she is to me. When it comes to other ppl .... what is a few cents, even a few dollars among friends?"