Friday, May 26, 2006

Road Trip for Dim Sum

Ferry had to go to Chicago to mail his boxes home to Indonesia so we all decided to make it a road trip for dim sum. There is dim sum here in Lansing but it is not as good and cheap as what u can get in Chinatown, Chicago. At first I learnt that I was bumped out from the trip as Jeff's truck could only hold 5 ppl .... Jeff (he is the only one who can drive his baby truck), Yuchien, Ferry, Amir and Amanda were the ones going. I was dissapointed ..... I love dim sum! Anyway, Yuchien was the one that said that we should drive 2 cars then ..... I felt bad as gas prices are so high now, but I could not say no to food. I suggested bumping Amanda :) but Amir and her are a package deal.

We set out early at 6.30am but we had to make a few stops along the way as we had to adjust a tarp over the truckbed that was covering all the boxes. We were afraid that it was going to fly away, and Jeff wanted to make sure that it did not stratch the paint job. The only mishap was that the flying cords that was holding the tarp down cracked the left brake light. :(

We did not want to take the tarp down as it just looked like it was constantly going to rain but it was all teaser rain. Seriously, it would drizzle for about 10 seconds and then stop, the sun even came out a few times.

Traffic was horrible as there was construction along the highways and within Chicago. Plus, I hate driving in the city ... too many agressive drivers and too many god damn cars! It should have taken us 4hrs to get there but I think with all the stops it took us 5hrs.

After we got Ferry's boxes delivered, we made our way to Chinatown. I wanted to take some pics of the food but I seriously forgot about it. When the food came, we hoovered it! It was so good! The bill for the 6 of us came out to be about US$101.

Here's the entrance to chinatown. Notice the Chinese New Year Parade banner .... umm, shouldn't it be down by now?
---
lol .... kinda nice to see something familiar from back home ....

---

Here's Amanda in front of her chinese zodiac sign.
---

Here's mine!
---

Shops in chinatown.
---

Ahh ... roast duck!
---


Driving home was a huge mess again. Traffice built up again, there were a few times when it was a stand still. We finally made it home ..... I think we spent at least 9hrs travelling to and fro .... I know, we are nuts, taking an extra vehicle, driving that long ..... but .... BUT, it is DIM SUM!!! :)