Saturday, May 13, 2006

Tulip Time!


It was raining but Tom, Elyse and I still made it to the Tulip Festival. Because of the rain, there weren't that many ppl around but there were a few senior citizen tour groups around and so we felt like we were the yougest ppl there.

We started the day going to the civic center where we caught an authentic dutch dance, with wooden shoes and all! Here is a clip of it if any is interested ....




And then here is a lady we saw trying to imitate the dance ... it was kinda funny, but I think maybe she saw me and so she stopped :)




After that, we went to lunch in at the New Holland Brewing Co. (yes, the word brewing caught my eye) . Tom and I both had a beer made by them, it was a little strong but I think that is only because I drink lite beer all the time, it was still pretty good though.


Here's a pic of my beer. They use their six pack carrying carton as a condiment holder ..... cute .... I think.


This was my burger, it was supposed to have a beer marinate but I could not taste it. The white thing on top of the burger is gorgonzola cheese (a type of blue cheese). It was quite tasty.

After lunch, we stopped by the Coldstone Creamery for some ice cream .... yum! Elyse and I had the coffee lovers one while Tom had the strawberry with white chocolate.

After dessert, we made our way to Windmill Island ..... which wasn't really an island. It had an authentic windmill brought all the way from Holland, Netherlands. According to Tom, the name Holland came first in Michigan, then the tulips. We had a guided tour of the windmill where they still grind flour at least twice a mth.


Here's me and the windmill.

Oh no, Elyse broke a tulip stem! Nah, it was already like that :)

Tom and Elyse infront of the windmill

Elyse, Tom and I

Me and some RED Tulips!

More tulips .....

Elyse and I

Wooden shoe-be-dos!

There were so many tulips along the street, some lost their petals due to the constant rain they have been having. It was, however, still a sight to see. It was gorgeous! Wish we could have seen it in better weather but I think we all enjoyed the little road trip and had a great time! I know I definately did and I'm so glad I was able to go.

Our next festival will the the National Cherry Festival in Traverse City. Let there NOT be rain this time.

I took alot more pics and they are in the photo album area. There were actually more but damn Frienster would only allow me to upload 37 more pics this mth (they have a limit of 50 each mth and I had already used up 13 of them) I refuse to pay extra to upload more ..... I am going have to find another alternative .... any suggestions?